All Rights Reserved. Nothing on this website or any links may be copied without the express written permission of Jeffrey Keesee. Some wedding photos and linked materials were engaged on a work-for-hire basis and are protected by copyright of the individual client and copyright holder. The photos are used here by permission and copyright to those works is expressly reserved by the owner. - United States Copyright Law

Desperate "Christians"

I really enjoyed last night's episode of "Desperate Housewives", a show I watch because of it's scandal factor. I know it's not "7th Heaven", that's why I watch. I was happily surprised that among the myriad (outrageous and fun!) storylines about murder, infanticide, adultery, and sado-masochism, there was one with which I could actually empathize (based on my own past experiences).

Two guys at a party, confused about their sexuality, actually showed each other affection!

Boy, did that get some folks in a tizzy! Check out this poster on the abc.com boards:

"I taped last night's episode, and I thank the Lord that I did. I was so appalled by the choice that the writers made to show two children engaging in a homosexual act that I reviewed the tape again and wrote down the name of the advertisers."

It makes me sad every time I'm reminded that people hate homos and are trying to edit them out of existence, but I can take some solace in noting that at the time I checked, 0% of the responses to that post agreed with her. Some even went so far as to note that the original "Christian" poster hadn't (to date) registered any objections to a woman having sex with an underage guy, to a man killing a woman, to premarital sex between a criminal and a divorced mom, to the suicide of the voice-over character or any other of the pretty clearly "oops- that-was-a-commandment-wasn't-it?" kind of stuff that is de rigeur on this show.

That's what makes it "Desperate"!

I still can't figure out why I, who am monogamous with someone I love, who volunteers in my community, who pays taxes and plants trees, who has made soup for the hungry and houses for the homeless, why am I less Christian that this blog-posting, TV-watching, letter-writing, censor-loving harpy?

Which of the 10 commandments states that I'm going to hell because I love a guy and she's going to heaven because she shops at Kohl's? Just for the record, I have no other god, I leave the "idol making" to Simon Cowell, I swear as little as possible, I hate working on Sunday, I think my parents are fabulous, I'm a vegetarian, "it" is only "adultery" because other people won't let me get married, and I don't steal/libel/covet nothing or nobody (except for this one pair of shoes at Banana Republic...and maybe Christian Bale...)

And by the way, the poster said she recorded the show and "thank the Lord that I did" why? Because Jesus made VCRs? That kinda made me smile...

No comments: