All Rights Reserved. Nothing on this website or any links may be copied without the express written permission of Jeffrey Keesee. Some wedding photos and linked materials were engaged on a work-for-hire basis and are protected by copyright of the individual client and copyright holder. The photos are used here by permission and copyright to those works is expressly reserved by the owner. - United States Copyright Law

Natural Gas

Don't have it.

Miss it (for cooking), but don't have it.

Haven't even turned on my heat in the condo since I moved in January 2003. 10 ft. high glass walls facing south with concrete floors that heat up in the winter when the sun is low on the horizon. Perfect.

But I was curious about natural gas prices and how they have changed in the aftermath of Katrina since I last had to pay them. I got the following historical heating season data from the Energy Information Administration:

2001-2002 - $0.72/therm
2002-2003 - $0.82/therm
2003-2004 - $0.95/therm
2004-2005 - $1.02/therm

Then I looked for Atlanta area gas prices for this winter, 2005-2006. It's very easy to compare rates on the Public Service Commission's website. On the old, fixed-rate plan I had (I like my gas prices like I like my mortgage - no variable/adjustable for me!), I would be paying:

2005-2006 - $1.67/therm

Double what I paid when I last had gas.

Maybe I don't miss it.

Of course, I occassionally have to turn on the A/C during particularly sunny days in the winter. But that's just electricity, right? But just exactly how is that electricity generated? I checked-out my buddies at Southern Company:

"We added more than 4,000 megawatts of new generation in 2001 and 2002, all cleaner burning natural gas facilities..."

Oops.

Back to the Public Service Commission:

Georgia Power (cents/KWH)-

Winter 2003 - 7.476/KWH
Summer 2005 - 8.610/KWH
Winter 2005 - ???

Maybe I can install a solar hot water heater on my balcony...

No comments: