All Rights Reserved. Nothing on this website or any links may be copied without the express written permission of Jeffrey Keesee. Some wedding photos and linked materials were engaged on a work-for-hire basis and are protected by copyright of the individual client and copyright holder. The photos are used here by permission and copyright to those works is expressly reserved by the owner. - United States Copyright Law

Renting movies...


More from last month's ice storm...I thought of Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow" as I walked by this spot in Midtown's Piedmont Park.

...and speaking of movies...

I was the hold-out in this country on Netflix. I know it's great. I know you can have "all the movies you want" for under $20/month. But I also know that a huge part of me is instant gratification-based; I couldn't just sit back and see what movies from my list might be available for the weekend. If I want to watch a movie, I want to watch that movie NOW and I'm going to go out and get THAT movie. Now.

With Netflix, if a movie is a really popular one, it might not be available for a while.

A certain movie rental chain fulfilled that immediate gratification need for me (being new to the blogverse, I don't want to step on any toes, so I'll just call the chain "FockFluster"). They had that "guaranteed" to be there slogan.

Well, now that "Lackluster" has decided to compete head-to-head with Netflix, they have have exchanged their "guaranteed to be" there ideology for a "no late fees" one. "Just turn it in whenever" they say.

So now at "Ballbuster", if a movie is a really popular one, it might not be available for while.

That happened to me this weekend while trying to rent "Ray". I went in on Sunday, no copies. The same on Monday and Tuesday. I even went so far as to wait outside the drop-off slot, asking people if they were returning a copy of it. No luck.

I asked the clerk if people had complained about movie availability since this policy change and he said "yes", but once people come in to get a movie, if their first choice isn't in, they just get their second choice. And "Flackmaster" gets their money either way.

Bummed, but not alone. "...eyed for antitrust." "...sued over late fees"

No comments: