All Rights Reserved. Nothing on this website or any links may be copied without the express written permission of Jeffrey Keesee. Some wedding photos and linked materials were engaged on a work-for-hire basis and are protected by copyright of the individual client and copyright holder. The photos are used here by permission and copyright to those works is expressly reserved by the owner. - United States Copyright Law

Mexico Stories - Things I learned



WATER PRESSURE - If the shower runs out of water, it's because someone else unplugged the water pump that fills the rooftop cistern for the whole building (it's really loud, especially at night).

SOUNDS - Listening to Karen Carpenter with headphones on is a good way to keep in the holiday spirit (and to mask out the sound of the water pump)

LANDSCAPING - Christmas flowers don't come from Home Depot - there are real, live, blooming, brilliant red outdoor Poinsettias...everywhere

HARRY POTTER I - Mad-Eye Moody is translated to "Ojoloco" in spanish.

HARRY POTTER II - There's no real way to translate "You're a right foul git".

HOLIDAYS - As explained by a native, Dec 12th is a holiday to celebrate the day the Virgin Mary "show up" in Guadalupe.

HEALTH - The "Cellophane Diet" is a good (but boring) way to keep from becoming sick (eat only packaged food from the grocery store).

PRODUCE - Irapuato is the "Strawberry Capital of the World" - roadside stands are lined with baskets of nearly fist-sized strawberries in ziggurat piles. I'll never know how they taste.

CLIMATE - There is no thermostat in my apartment...and no need for one.

LOCAL CUISINE - Fresh grilled quesadillas can't be beat; huitlacoche can (it's corn fungus - purple and slimy, like beets that have been sitting around too long - used in tamales). "Burrito" means "little donkey". "Gorditas" (a sort of thick tortilla sliced like pita bread and filled like a taco) means "chubby little girl".

HOW TO SLAUGHTER SPANISH - When I saw a mannequin on the side of the road, dressed in a Santa-mini-skirt and hat, I learned how to say "Santa Claus esta una puta picosa y barata" - Santa is a cheap and spicy hooker. Also, "Feliz ano nuevo" does NOT mean "Happy New Year".

ELEVATION - At 6000+ feet, jogging is a challenge - for me, anyway, but not for the local high school track team that blew past me one morning going at least twice my pace.

CONSUMERISM - I'm not watching TV, I can't read billboards, radio announcers speak far too quickly - without the influence of advertising telling me I need something, I find I lack nothing.

DRIVING - In the U.S., we drive on the right. In Britain, on the left. In Mexico, right down the damn middle of the road.

SIZE - The elevator in the local mall has a footprint of about 4 x 5 ft and a sign stating "Capacity: 11". "11 people fit in this tiny elevator?" I asked my friend. "11 Mexicans mi amigo, only 5 gringos..." He also told me that "amigo, you are taller than me, but I am standard-sized Mexican". (Note: The people conversion rate is different than the pesos-to-dollars rate of 10-to-1).

No comments: